[tlhIngan Hol] ordering and scope of adverbials relative to timestamps

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Sat Feb 9 07:12:34 PST 2019

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019, 9:44 AM De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com wrote:

> Whatever view you may think a hypothetical Klingon might have on the
> significance or insignificance of anniversaries, that an event happened
> "almost a year ago" is specifically important in the context of the
> conversation I was having. You're arguing about an answer to a different
> question than the one I asked.

This is important.

We shouldn't argue over why one of us picks a specific translation over
another. We can ask, and we can discuss, but we should not judge the
motivation behind others speech.

People are allowed to present their translations from the point of view of
"This is what I believe a Klingon would say" and no one can say they are
right or wrong, because we have no way to go and check. This is all just
opinions, not facts, and arguing about opinions of a fictional universe is
pointless.

Instead, we should just accept that motivations differ between speakers and
move on to focusing on the language being presented. If you think it can be
better translated or phrased, just present that translation. Let the person
who asked the question decide which answer they prefer. As long as they are
all grammatical, then they are all valid answers.

qurgh
List Admin