[tlhIngan Hol] Be careful not to choke

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 8 11:16:28 PST 2019

Someone may have confused it with {vIQ} “suffocate” which according to qurgh "does not take an object" (qurgh < MO 7/28/2018) and {vIQmoH} ”smother” was also revealed at the qep'a' 2018.

So I wouldn’t be surprised to see {voQ} “choke” vs. *{voQmoH} “strangle” – though similarity is not proof of course.

--
Voragh

From:  maykel qunenoS:

I read in boQwI' that "this verb (voQ) cannot take a direct object", and that "based on the similarity to voQ (v), this appears not to take an object".  Both entries are written under {voQ} "choke", but the only source listed is tkd.

From: qurgh lungqIj

Do we have canon that says {voQ} is intransitive? I would have thought {qavoQ} "I choke you" to be perfectly acceptable.
   {bIyepbe'chugh, chaq nIvoQ ngoQmeylIj}
   "If you are not careful, perhaps your goals with choke you"

mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:
..just realized voQ is intransitive

So, instead of bIvoQ'egh, I should have written bIvoQ'eghmoH.