[tlhIngan Hol] Using -ta' during -taHvIS

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Feb 27 07:46:30 PST 2019

Just to add the historical background, this rule (no Type 7 suffix on second verb of SAO) exists because of a subtitle for a spoken Klingon line that Okrand clearly would have preferred to have put a perfective suffix on the second verb, but his hand was forced. The scene had been shot and they weren’t going to do it over again to fix the line, so he created this grammar rule in order to explain why that second verb didn’t have {-pu’} on it.

We all hate the rule.

In terms of the grammar being internally consistent and making sense and offering the most broad expressive capability, this rule stinks enough that even Okrand breaks it from time to time. I personally think it’s forgivable to let those exceptions in canon trump the rule, making it obsolete, so we can say, “Yeah, that’s an old grammar rule that people often ignore,” like the way in English, as years pass, people never use “whom”, but instead use “who” for either subject or object.

Yes, the English rule definitely still exists, and you really should say, “To whom are you speaking?” instead of “Who are you speaking to?”, but if somebody says the latter, everybody understands them, and most of the time, to be polite, you don’t even point out the technical error(s).

It’s good to have the rule to explain the past, but I don’t think anybody should feel TOO attached to the rule for the future. If you want to speak “proper” Klingon, follow the rule, just like you should avoid using the very useful verb suffix {-luH} if you want to speak proper Klingon, but if you just want to say something in Klingon that everyone will understand clearly, and you are not trying to impress anyone with your fastidiously proper grammar, go ahead an put a Type 7 on the second verb of SAO and use {-luH}.

It’s like the English word “ain’t”. We know it’s not proper, but it works, and EVERYBODY knows HOW it works.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.