[tlhIngan Hol] Do we know what kind of serpent is wam ?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Feb 26 07:01:58 PST 2019

A {wam} is a specific kind of snake that appears in works by Keith R.A. DeCandido. I don't believe Marc Okrand has told us much about it, except to approve the spelling {wam} for use in the German version of The Klingon Art of War.

You can find info on this type of snake on Memory Beta:

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Wam_serpent

It appears that the wam serpent is predatory (as the name would seem to suggest), and considering how reviled it appears to be among Klingons, its bite is presumably quite dangerous, or at least a significant annoyance.

The Klingon Art of War also adds that:

"The wam serpent slinks along the ground, hidden by the tall grass, until it rises and strikes."
This suggests that the wam is quick and capable of "rising".

So, comparing a quick, venomous snake to a {wam} seems appropriate. The closest comparison might be a cobra, which is also quick, dangerous and capable of rising. However, animals such as vipers, rattlesnakes and mambas also come to mind.
I wouldn't use it to describe large and/or slow snakes (such as anacondas or boa constrictors) or snakes that are completely harmless to humans (such as garter snakes or grass snakes).

//loghaD