[tlhIngan Hol] Asking "why do I need to be there ?"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 22 11:12:27 PST 2019

On 2/22/2019 2:07 PM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> I have thought of that solution.
>

> But using a pronoun instead of SaH, is often done; e.g. "the sword is
> in the ocean" from tkd.
>

> So, I think that choosing to ask by saying {qatlh pa' jIHnIS} or
> {qatlh pa' jIHnIStaH} is a valid option.
>

> But I don't know which of the two is the correct choice.

I can't say that doing this is wrong, but it's not ideal. Daniel's
response is better. The more meaning you try to load onto a pronoun, the
more awkward it will be.

That said, if you /have/ to say it this way — and you almost certainly
don't — what you're really asking is whether you need to use *-taH* to
indicate some kind of ongoingness or temporariness of your location. The
answer is that we don't know. Okrand is inconsistent with his usage of this.

I prefer to use *-taH* when I'm talking about a movable object that may
just happen to be somewhere at the moment, but not to use *-taH* when
the object is fixed. *vaS'a'Daq 'oH puchpa''e' 'ej puchpa'Daq ghaHtaH
Qang'e'.* But this is not an official rule and cannot be consistently
demonstrated in the canon.