[tlhIngan Hol] Multiple question words / markers in a sentence

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Feb 19 05:01:00 PST 2019

> We know perfectly well how "direct quotations" and "indirect quotations" work in Klingon:
> everything is a report of the actual speech, or else doesn't use a verb of speech.
>
> qaja'pu' HIqaghQo' I told you not to interrupt me. (TKD)

Not contradicting this, but it's worth noting that there is at least one canonical instance where jatlh has been used to express an indirect quotation:

Those unfit disintegrate

At the glance of Fek'lhr,

So it is said

nuv 'umHa' leghchugh veqlargh

ngoS nuv 'umHa'

net jatlh

(paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 1, Stanza 2)

It's from paq'batlh, which we know contains some dubious grammar, but it does seem a rather natural (and useful) expansion of the types of object that jatlh can take; we've long known that jatlh can take a SoQ (http://klingonska.org/canon/1997-06-29b-news.txt) as an object, and paq'batlh uses mu' and lut as the objects of jatlh several times. As such, it doesn't seem like a huge leap that you could also let a statement (marked by 'e' or net) be the object of jatlh.

That being said, the vast majority of quotations we have are direct, which does suggest that those may be the most natural-sounding. This may be another aspect of the "Klingons are often inaccurate, but they are never[ish] approximate." guideline that caused quite a bit of debate recently; quotes are commonly given as though they are being given verbatim, but whether or not they actually are is another matter.

//loghaD