[tlhIngan Hol] Placement of the qatlh

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Feb 18 07:41:25 PST 2019

Am 18.02.2019 um 16:28 schrieb SuStel:
> How about this: *jagh DajeymeH nIteb yISuvrup*/In order to defeat the
> enemy, be ready to fight alone./ Adverbials come at the beginning,
> barring time expressions. Yet the purpose clause comes first in this
> sentence. *qatlh* is basically just a question form of an adverbial. Why
> isn't it *nIteb jagh DajeymeH yISuvrup?*

That's agood point which I like. It confirms the placement of qatlh in
mid-sentence.

> But I can also supply a counterargument. *vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob
> SaSuqpu'* /So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift./ (Hallmark
> commercial) Here, the adverbial *vaj* is placed before the purpose clause.

Here, the vaj works more like a conjunction. Using it after the -meH
part makes less sense.

 > So I don't think there's an exact answer here.

Not really, but these example help little bit. Stil better than having
no examples at all.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"