[tlhIngan Hol] Placement of the qatlh

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Feb 18 06:58:59 PST 2019

On 2/18/2019 9:52 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Sticking closely to the rules:
>  - The purpose clause always precedes the noun or verb whose purpose
> it is describing.
>  - qatlh "occurs at the beginning of the sentence."

Except we know that sometimes when Okrand says /sentence/ he means the
verbal clause under consideration. You would not, for instance,
translate /I ask why I was chosen/ as *qatlh jIjatlh vIwIvlu'pu'?* A
sentence-as-object is still a sentence, but you'd put the *qatlh* with
the piece it belongs with: *jIjatlh qatlh vIwIvlu'pu'; qatlh vIwIvlu'pu'
jIjatlh.*

It's a very murky area of Klingon grammar.