[tlhIngan Hol] Placement of the qatlh

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Feb 18 06:53:52 PST 2019

On 2/18/2019 9:30 AM, Jeffrey Clark wrote:
> Interesting question. Both of those Klingon sentences make sense to me. I think that {qatlh} should go at the head of the whole sentence as usual, since the -meH clause is just a clause rather than a stand-alone sentence itself; and qatlh in the middle just looks… odd… to me intuitively.

Except I would expect the *qatlh* to go at the beginning of the /clause/
of which it is a part, not the sentence as a whole. I see subordinate
and purpose clauses as less closely connected to the main clause, and
not actually a part of it — they're different clauses.

Imagine you instead asked, /Why do I need to feed your cat if I help you?/

    *qaQaHchugh, qatlh vIghro'lIj vIje'nIS?
    qatlh vIghro'lIj vIje'nIS, qaQaHchugh?*

I think mayqel's comprehension problem comes from the fact that he uses
parenthetical phrases /a lot,/ and he's trying to do it here.

    *qatlh — qaQaHmeH — vIghro'lIj vIje'nIS?*

As a bit of extemporaneous explanation this would be just fine, but do
too much of that and your high school teachers will start marking you
off for poor style.