[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "I lost my dignity"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 14 08:36:08 PST 2019

From: mayqel qunenoS
>> In English we say "I lost my dignity".  But how do we say it in klingon ?
>> If we write  {nurwIj vIchIlpu'}, it sounds like "I left my dignity somewhere
>> but I don't remember where".

I'm not sure I've ever heard this phrase in English.  Do you mean "I lost face"?  {nur} "dignity" can be stolen:

  nurraj nIHlu'ta'mo' manoD
  We will avenge your stolen pride (PB draft?)

and strengthened:

  tlhIngan wo' nur ghob je HoSmoH quvvam
  With it, I restore pride and values of the Klingon Empire (PB)

so why not lost? -- although you may want to use {weS}  lose [permanently], no longer have,  undergo/suffer a reduction" instead of {chIl} "lose, misplace".

In any event, we have {tuH} "be ashamed", {web} "be disgraced", {quvHa'} "be dishonored", {HemHa'} "lose one's pride" (from PB):

  maQ 'oH HemHa'choH 'ej cho'choH moratlh
  The signal for Morath to lose his pride and claim a throne. (PB)

Depending on the context, you might even say *{jeQHa'}  "be un-self-confident".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons