[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'Imyagh

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Feb 13 18:15:37 PST 2019

vIghro’ vIQoy. ‘Imyagh.

jatlhlaHbe’ vIghro’. chuS neH.

The suggestion is that {‘Imyagh} is a sound. It works in a direct quote and probably is an expletive, like {HIja’} and {ghobe’}. It’s not a verb. It doesn’t belong as part of a sentence. It is effectively a sentence unto itself.

If a person makes the sound, then they could “say” the sound, but a {vIghro’} can’t speak. It can merely be noisy.

And just as a direct quote is grammatically separate from the sentence about it being spoken, this noise would be grammatically separate from the sentence about it being heard.

Mine is not the final word. I’m just a guy with an opinion, but I think it makes the most sense this way.

charghwI’ vaghnerya'ngan