[tlhIngan Hol] Is {Sal} a verb of movement ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 12 09:04:47 PST 2019

On 2/12/2019 11:47 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> I’m guessing we disagree less than you think we do. Likely, it would
> help anyone interested in understanding this that the object of these
> unusual verbs is a noun whose location is its important feature. This
> is, as you like to point out, a semantic issue, not a grammatical one.

I don't think a semantic versus syntax argument is really the issue here.

> We understand that the object of {ghoS} and its ilk is a location. We
> don’t have to mark it grammatically with {-Daq}, and if we do mark it
> with {-Daq}, we potentially give the noun a role that is not the
> object of the verb.

Not quite. We don't have to mark it grammatically with *-Daq,* and if we
do mark it with *-Daq* we potentially confuse the reader or listener as
to whether we're talking about an object or a noun in the pre-object
position.

If I say *DujDaq ghoStaH,* I know whether I mean that the subject is
approaching the ship or on the ship and approaching, but the meaning is
ambiguous to anyone else. The role of *DujDaq* doesn't change; it's just
ambiguous.

Such ambiguities happen all the time, though, and shouldn't cause us
worry. Context will make the correct meaning clear. And often
probability will play a role. It's /possible/ to interpret *DujDaq
vIghoStaH* as /I am on the ship, approaching it/ (an elided *'oH* /it/
as object), but it's unlikely I'm going to elide the object in this way
if the chance of misunderstanding is high. *DujDaq 'oH vIghoStaH.*