[tlhIngan Hol] Is {Sal} a verb of movement ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Feb 12 05:39:05 PST 2019

I agree with you that the term “verb of motion” has no more fundamental usefulness than “locative verb”. Both almost describe what is going on, but fail to clarify the point.

To be honest, I don’t remember significance put on the term “verbs of motion”, though I’m sure I overused it. Certainly, there’s nothing in TKD that uses the term, and if I’ve been using it, it’s just something that came out in an attempt to convey some meaning, and thinking on it now, I think whatever it conveyed is incomplete. I don’t remember intending to create an intentional classification. If I did, I was foolish to think I accomplished much.

[Pause. Try to remember decades ago.] Yep. I overused it and I was foolish to do so.

Certainly, the difficult part of understanding {ghoS} and its ilk has more to do with understanding what kind of objects it takes, since it is unlike English to have a verb that has this sense of intentionality wrapped up in it. I suspect that it has a similar character to the difference between {-pu’} and {-ta’}. {jaH} means “go” with no reference to the direction or manner or intent of the going, while {ghoS} implies following a specific course or path. You plan {ghoS} and as you {ghoS} you are executing the plan.

The plan is revealed by the verb's object, which is a noun associated with the path or course. You are correct that it’s the location of the object that is significant. The weird part is that we have this grammatical marker for location, {-Daq} and we don’t use it on the object of a verb. So, the suffix {-Daq} has a weird relationship with this particular group of verbs.

It’s one of the beautifully strange features of Klingon. You can’t casually approach these verbs without thinking it through and recognizing that something different is happening here. This ain’t English, or French, or Finnish, or Mandarin. This is alien.

We have a verb {ghoS} for moving along a path, {vegh} for moving through a doorway/tunnel/opening, and probably a few others that I’m too rusty to bring to mind. The closest English equivalent is “orbit”, since the direct object of “orbit” has a prepositional relationship to the subject and verb. When you orbit something, you go around it. You don’t go it. While you can say you orbit around it, the preposition “around” is redundant and superfluous.

In Klingon, it’s more extreme than that. {-Daq} is not merely optional. It changes the meaning. The object of {ghoS} is the path, but a grammatically marked locative is more locally where the subject happens to be while following a path that is not marked by the locative, like sailing along a river in a boat. The locative is the boat. The object is the river.

I can imagine a Klingon learning the English verb “peel”, and he’s shown how to peel a banana and an orange, and then he picks up a pistachio and starts talking about peeling pistachios, and people have to explain that you don’t peel a pistachio. You can peel off a band-aid. You can peel off a helmet. You can peel off a sweater. You can peel off body armor. But you can’t peel a pistachio.

Basically, you don’t understand a verb until you know what works as its object and what doesn’t.

That’s the problem with TKD. It doesn’t typically tell us a lot about what does or does not work as an object for the verbs. We make the best guesses we can, and then maybe someday Okrand gives us canon that corrects whatever misunderstandings we get from failed guesses.

charghwI’ ‘utlh