[tlhIngan Hol] ordering and scope of adverbials relative to timestamps

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Feb 8 08:43:49 PST 2019

On Feb 8, 2019, at 9:47 AM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
> What about {wa' ben tugh [qaSpu' wanI']} "one year ago it will have happened soon"? Or is the combination of {wa' ben} with {tugh} weird?

“Weird” is a good word for it. I understand what it is trying to mean, but I’m not convinced it’s doing it properly.

The other way around doesn’t feel as wrong or strained: {tugh wa'ben [qaSpu']} “soon it will have happened one year ago.” It’s not exactly the same idea, but it describes the same situation. I think that provides my answer to the “ordering and scope” question.

-- ghunchu'wI'