[tlhIngan Hol] Klingons and the Klingon language on Discovery Season 2

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 05:45:59 PST 2019

It's OK, I suppose, that they decided to cut on lthe Klingon dialog a bit...
But I miss the Klingon subtites. They were a fun way to practice.
I'll have to keep rewatching season one for that.

Luciano

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 4:27 PM De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think it's spoiling anything to reveal that the Klingons are back (since that's in all the ads and trailers, and should be obvious to anyone who watched Season 1).
>
> But in case anyone is trying to decide whether to watch Season 2, it seems like there's going to be a lot less Klingon language this season, if that's your reason for watching.
>
> It's only 3 episodes in, but there are no Klingon subtitles on the episodes. (I mean on Netflix, which had them in Season 1. CBS never had them to begin with, and still don't.) Furthermore, they've decided to do the cinematic thing where Klingons will start speaking in Klingon during a scene (with English subtitles), and switch to English mid-sentence with the understanding that the audience can hear in their own language through cinematic magic. So whenever there's a gathering of Klingons, instead of entire scenes in Klingon, it's just the opening sentences now.
>
> It was a very common complaint among casual viewers of Season 1 that there was too much spoken Klingon, that the spoken Klingon was stilted and slow, and that the actors couldn't emote properly through makeup. Not among Klingon speakers, of course. Clearly, the show runners made the changes they did to address that complaint. I think it was the right choice from the perspective of making the dialogue involving Klingons easier to follow for a general audience. Of course, it's unfortunate from our point of view as Klingon speakers that this means less spoken Klingon on the show.
>
> Slightly off-topic, but so far they've also addressed the questions of why Klingons were bald in Season 1, and why their ship aesthetics looked so different than what we saw in the TOS era. So the show runners are trying very hard to respond to the complaints of the fan base about Klingons on the show (and maybe even trying too hard).
>
> --
> De'vID

Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams