[tlhIngan Hol] Out of curiosity..

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 22 06:28:28 PST 2019

On 2/22/2019 9:20 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 22.02.2019 um 15:09 schrieb Daniel Dadap:
>> What Okrand says about pIqaD is that little is known about it, except
>> that it’s not an alphabet. Yet KLI pIqaD is precisely that, so it’s
>> clearly not what Okrand had in mind. We still use and enjoy it, though.
>
> Okrand wrote that before the existence of the KLI. He certainly just
> wanted to avoid saying anything wrong so he wrote that nothing is
> known. His job was to describe the language, not the letters.

He knew perfectly well that written Klingon on the shows and movies was
nonsense made to look good. It's not that he didn't want to be wrong;
there is simply no right answer. He /could not/ explain the *pIqaD*
shown up to that point, because it was meaningless decoration. Saying
"not yet fully understood" was just a tongue-in-cheek way of avoiding
the problem in this novelty book he was writing that surely no one would
remember in a couple of years.

It's exactly analogous to the explanation Worf gives in "Trials and
Tribble-ations" as to why the Klingons of a century ago look so
different. "We do not discuss it with outsiders." It's a funny way of
spotlighting the problem just long enough to ignore it.