[tlhIngan Hol] Why not law'wI'pu' ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 21 09:54:56 PST 2019

On 2/21/2019 12:38 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> jot = be calm
> jotwI' = someone who is calm
>
> Qup = young
> QupwI' = someone who is young
>
> law' = be numerous, be many
> law'wI'pu' = those who are many
>
> So, we could say:
> Har law'wI'pu'
> many believe
>
> *Something*  tells me that it can't be correct
> But that*something*  can't figure out the why

*law'* means /be many,/ so *law'wI'* means /one who is many.../ whatever
that means. Now, there may be a "yeah, but you get it anyway" factor
involved here, but looking strictly at the meanings of the pieces, I
don't think *law'wI'pu'* means /many of them/ or /group that consists of
many;/ I think it means /group of ones who are each many. /Again,
whatever that means.

But if Okrand were to come out and say that *law'wI'pu'* means /those
who are many,/ I wouldn't have any trouble believing him.

Better to play it safe for now and just say *ghot law'*/many people./