[tlhIngan Hol] tuQ and tuQmoH difference

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 19 06:32:55 PST 2019

On 2/19/2019 9:16 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> nIvnav vItuQ
> I put on the pajamas
>
> vIghro'wIjvaD nIvnav vItuQmoH
> I dress my cat with the pajamas
>
> So, the tuQ is used when I put on clothes, and tuQmoH when I dress someone else.
>
> Is my understanding correct ?

I believe it is. You're going to get some people who think otherwise,
that *tuQmoH* means something other than what *tuQ + -moH* means,
because the translations in TKD are confusing.

    *tuQ*/wear (clothes)
    /*tuQHa'moH*/undress
    /*tuQmoH*/put on (clothes)/

I believe *tuQ* refers to having clothes on rather than putting clothes
on. *HIpwIj vItuQ* can be used to describe me already in my uniform, not
the act of me putting my uniform on. If I say *HIpwIj vItuQchoH* (notice
that's *-choH,* not *-moH*), it means I go from a state of not having my
uniform on to a state of having my uniform on, but it still doesn't say
anything about who caused this state to be. That's where *-moH* comes in.

*HIpwIj vItuQ'eghmoH*/I put on my uniform; I cause myself to wear my uniform
/*puqwI'vaD HIp vItuQmoH*/I dress my child in the uniform; I cause my
child to wear the uniform
/*HIpwIj vItuQHa''eghmoH*/I take off my uniform; I cause myself to
un-wear my uniform
/*puqwI'vaD HIp vItuQHa'moH*/I take my child's uniform off of him/her; I
cause my child to un-wear the uniform/

Notice that *tuQHa'* is not separately defined in TKD. /Un-wear/ is not
something that someone would look up in English, so it does not appear.

You /could/ say something like *HIp vItuQmoH,* but this would mean you
put someone unspecified into a uniform, in the same way that *Hol
vIghojmoH* means you teach someone unspecified the language. But it
/doesn't/ mean /I put on the uniform,/ which means specifically that I
am both the wearer and the putter-on. *HIp vItuQmoH* means only that I
am the putter-on; the wearer is unspecified.