[tlhIngan Hol] Placement of the qatlh

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Feb 18 14:49:57 PST 2019

SuStel is absolutely right. One might choose to work around this the same way that American Sign Language does it.

They don’t have relative pronouns or relative clauses at all. Instead, they pair a rhetorical question with its answer. It’s nearly identical to your attempt, but there is no Sentence As Object. It’s just two sentence next to each other:

chay’ Duj chenmoHlu’? jISov.

or

chay’ Duj chenmoHlu’? mIw vISov.

This lacks the “Question As Object” illegal grammar. It’s perfectly legal, and accomplishes the same goal. It’s not like English, but it conveys the meaning.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.