[tlhIngan Hol] Placement of the qatlh

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Feb 18 07:36:16 PST 2019

Am 18.02.2019 um 16:22 schrieb SuStel:
>> There's a difference between "I ask why I was chosen." and "I ask: why
>> was I chosen?"
>
> Not in Klingon. Much has been made of "direct quotations" by certain
> people, but Klingon happily uses so-called direct quotations where
> English will use so-called "indirect quotations."

What I mean is when I write "I tell you why I ate the pie" it means that
I am going to tell you the reason for eating the pie. If I write "I tell
you 'why I ate the pie'" it only means that I'm going to speak the words
"why I ate the pie".

So you would agree if I say things like

{qatlh HoD HoH 'e' vISov}
"I know why he killed the captain"

or avoiding the QAO-Problem:

{qatlh HoD HoH jIja'}
"I tell why he killed the captain."

{chay' Duj chenmoHlu' 'e' vISov}
"I know how the ship is constructed."

??

PS: I'm really just talking about an interesting topic. No offense intended.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"