[tlhIngan Hol] DISvam chabal tetlh

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 06:04:04 PST 2019

qurgh:
> The KLI offers a lot of free services, this mailing list that
> you used to freely learn the Klingon language is an example.
> Do you use the Duolingo course, boQwI' or Hol 'ampaS? They
> could not exist without the KLI's extensive work with the language

I'm well aware that kli offers a lot of services. And yes, I'm aware
that most of them are free.

As to which of the above services I use, I don't know to whom this is
important; but since it came up, aside from this list I only used/use
boQwI'. An app for which on numerous occasions I expressed my
gratitude to De'vID, having acknowledged that boQwI' has been a
tremendous help.

qurgh:
> Non-paid KLI members can freely suggest 2 words and freely vote on every word (+1 or -1).
> I don't see how this is a "severe disadvantage" over folks who get more suggestions or an extra vote (+2 to -2).

Well, kli members will actually get a lot more:

qurgh:
> Guests can suggest 2 words, while members can suggest 10, 15, or 20 depending on the length of their membership

Suggesting only 2 words, compared to 15 or 20, is indeed a severe disadvantage.

qurgh:
> the second person has the option to ask, "What can I do to help the KLI?
> So, remember, before you say the system is unfair, look at how much you have
> gotten from it, compared to what you have given to it.

Since I feel that the question "What can I do to help the KLI?", is
indirectly written for me, let me remind you that when the HolQeD
transcription project begun, I volunteered. It's not my fault the
project eventually stopped. I volunteered anyway.

The issue here isn't whether *I* am willing or not, to make a premium
membership so as to ask for more words. I have come to terms with the
fact, that no constructed language can ever have all the words we
could ever wish for.

The issue here, or my issue if you'd like, is that in my opinion it's
an unfair system of choosing "vocabulary-wise" how the language will
evolve.

We obviously disagree. And that's ok.

But please don't keep repeating that "I have freely learned the
language". I like to think, that the people who have helped me, and
keep helping me, are doing so out of kindness and wilingness to teach.
Not in order to shout in my face, at the first opportunity they get,
"we teached you and never asked for your money".

Because when you're saying it, it's not me you insult/offend; it's
*their* kindness, time, and effort you diminish.

Anyway, as I said, we disagree and that's ok. After all we're all friends here.

~ mayqel *I love maltz* qunen'oS