[tlhIngan Hol] DISvam chabal tetlh

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Wed Feb 13 04:31:13 PST 2019

The KLI offers a lot of free services, this mailing list that you used to
freely learn the Klingon language is an example.

Members of the KLI have freely given their time to you to teach you the
language.

Do you use the Duolingo course, boQwI' or Hol 'ampaS? They could not exist
without the KLI's extensive work with the language. Work that cost time and
money.

Without the KLI's continued existence, none if this would be happening. For
the KLI to continue to exist, it needs members and volunteers. The members
who pay money help keep the lights on (and pay for the servers that run
this list), while the members who volunteer their time keep the wheels
moving, so as a thank-you we give them extras. They put into the system, so
they get more out. That sounds very fair to me.

Non-paid KLI members can freely suggest 2 words and freely vote on every
word (+1 or -1). I don't see how this is a "severe disadvantage" over folks
who get more suggestions or an extra vote (+2 to -2). Membership is less
than 9 Euros a year. That's a very low barrier, but I understand it's a
barrier.

So, to go to your two people, the second person has the option to ask,
"What can I do to help the KLI? I have no money, but I have these skills
... and I'd like to give back." That's how I got this gig in the first
place, I offered to freely share my skills.

And, just so you know, grammarians will get more say on the system than
regular members, as will those that have passed KLCP levels. The work just
takes time, as it is just the two of us doing it in our free time.

So, remember, before you say the system is unfair, look at how much you
have gotten from it, compared to what you have given to it.

qurgh