[tlhIngan Hol] How are these two different ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 12 11:10:12 PST 2019

On 2/12/2019 2:02 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> While many dependent clauses can either follow or precede the main
> clause, a {-meH} clause always precedes the noun or verb it adds
> meaning to, so the second option is not grammatically correct.
>
> I’ll also suggest that you might consider a slightly simpler rendition:
>
> muQaH vIneHmo’ qaqoy’nISlaw’.
>
> If I want you to help me and you expect me to beg you for it, then
> more generally, it is apparent that I need to beg, otherwise, I won’t
> get your help.
>
> charghwI’ ‘utlh
>

>> On Feb 12, 2019, at 1:52 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com
>> <mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I want to say "In order that you help me, you expect that I beg you".
>>
>> Option number one:
>> {muQaHmeH qaqoy', 'e' DapIH}
>>
>> Option number two:
>> {qaqoy', muQaHmeH 'e' DapIH}
>>
>> Is there any significant difference between the two ? Should I choose
>> one over the other for some reason ?
>>
>> ~ mayqel *I love maltz* qunen'oS

Of course, we all know that /you help me/ is *choQaH...* ;)

mayqel's second sentence is not grammatically incorrect. He has placed
the purpose clause perfectly... /onto the second sentence of the
sentence-as-object./

Understanding *cho-* instead of *mu-,* I read the first one as saying
that you expect me to beg for your help. I read the second one as saying
that, for the purpose of you helping me, you expect me to beg you. That
is, the first one says the purpose of begging is to get help, and the
second says the purpose of expecting is to get help. I don't think the
second one is what you're going for.