[tlhIngan Hol] Is {Sal} a verb of movement ?

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 07:05:37 PST 2019

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 12, 2019, at 09:37, Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:
>
> In the interview, Okrand said that adding the {-Daq} WOULD change the meaning. His example was being in a boat on a river. {-Daq} applies to the boat. The object of {ghoS} is the river.

Okrand drew a distinction between the object of {ghoS} and the location of the {ghoS}-ing. {-Daq} doesn’t change the meaning, the presence of an object to {ghoS} does — same as {jaH}.

Per HQ 7.4: {bIQtIq vIghoS} and {bIQtIqDaq vIghoS} are the same — the {-Daq} is optional. However {bIQtIqDaq jIghoS} has a different meaning and the {-Daq} isn’t optional.

IIRC, {bIQtIq(-Daq) vIghoS} would be something like “I follow the river”, whereas {bIQtIqDaq jIghoS} is “I come to the river”. I’m still fuzzy on the interpretation of the distinction, but I do remember there being a distinction.