[tlhIngan Hol] ordering and scope of adverbials relative totimestamps

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Feb 11 09:54:36 PST 2019

Thank you for your detailed, convincing argument. You put time into this. I respect that. You have presented good specific examples. Your logic is well thought out, and your presentation is not especially aggressive or disrespectful. This is refreshing. I’ll try to learn from this and improve my own arguments to be less disrespectful or unnecessarily confrontational.

So, instead of having an idea of why it is so hard to come up with a generic, acceptable way to say this, it now looks like {HochHom} is perhaps our one acceptable tool for giving one vague range of time: That of a near-complete duration. It’s not a very rich set, but it does seem appropriate to the requested phrase, “Almost a year ago”. Well done.

There’s still a lack of vocabulary for other vague ranges of duration to match the rich set of options in English. I never intended to suggest that Klingon could not translate English vague time ranges. My intent was to suggest that it is acceptable, in Klingon, to replace a vague fraction of a larger duration with a specific-even-if-innacurate number of smaller durations; to decisively posit a specific number rather than fret over whether or not the number is exactly right.

I still believe this to be true, though I suspect that {HochHom wa’ ben} or {wa'ben HochHom} [I will confess to not feeling consistently sure which is right] is the better choice in this instance. If you believe this is a mistake, I’m certainly open to further discussion. Meanwhile, if this solution is not acceptable, I don’t know what we could replace it with.

charghwI’ ‘utlh