[tlhIngan Hol] Discord ghogh qepHom

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 08:18:54 PST 2019

Going through the mailing list archives, I see several references to "the
Discord server", but no link to the actual server and no explanation. So
maybe some people who might otherwise participate just don't know what it
is or are put off by the idea of learning new software or whatever and it
might be helpful to describe it.

Discord was originally a voice/text chat app for gamers, so people could
communicate in multiplayer online games. In the same way that MUDs/MUSHes
(if you know what those are) were often repurposed to be just virtual
places people could meet to discuss various subjects, Discord has also
developed communities of people who use it for purposes other than gaming.
The KLI MUSH has basically been replaced by the KLI Discord. The client
software is available for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android, and you
can also connect online using a browser.

There's a fairly active community of Klingon speakers on Discord. You can
find your way there through this KLI page:
https://www.kli.org/members-only/discord-chat-server/

Discord has very good VoIP capabilities, and some of us have been having
semi-regular {ghogh qepHommey}. There's supposed to be a regular session on
Saturdays (afternoon in the Americas, evening Europe), though you could
just voice chat with someone if they're available.

I wanted to introduce Discord to more people because people often complain
that they can't make it to a physical {qep'a'}/{qepHom} due to
expense/distance/time/etc., whereas Discord doesn't cost anything. Also,
while one can learn using Duolingo or Memrise, or by writing stories or
discussing grammar on this mailing list or Facebook, there's something to
having a real-time voice conversation in Klingon which exercises skills
which can't be developed by other means.

(It was on a Discord voice chat that I stumbled on to my "almost a year
ago" problem.)

--
De'vID