[tlhIngan Hol] ordering and scope of adverbials relative to timestamps

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Feb 8 06:36:01 PST 2019

Am 08.02.2019 um 14:51 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
 > I don't agree neither with lieven nor with Jeremy.
 >
 > The original question is how to say "almost a year ago".
 >
 > Lieven's anniversary solution goes: "one year ago happens whatever; not
 > yet has happened its anniversary"
 >
 > The two parts of the above statement are mutually exclusive. If the
 > "whatever" happened/happens one year ago, then how come its
anniversary is yet to occur ?

Because I see the "one year ago" as a not very exactly defined time
period. I don't know what Klingons think about it, but 99 % of the
situations when people say "one year ago", they don't mean EXACTLY 365
days ago. It's usually only roughly a year, but also not clear whether
it's more or less than a year.

Am 08.02.2019 um 15:09 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> {'op ret qaSpu' wanI'vam, 'ej lIb DISjajDaj wa'DIch}
> "some time ago happened this event, and its first one year anniversary
> is imminent"

Yes, that's the similar way I wanted to go and might even be a better
solution than what I proposed.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"