[tlhIngan Hol] ordering and scope of adverbials relative to timestamps

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Feb 8 03:40:20 PST 2019

Am 08.02.2019 um 10:48 schrieb De'vID:
> Do you consider the sentence order to be fixed (with time stamps always
> ahead of adverbials, for example),
Yes, that's my opinion too.

> wrong or just might affect the emphasis and not the meaning? Or would
> you interpret the scope to change?

I think the problem here is not the word order, but the question whether
{tlhoS} can modify the time stamp. I think it cannot. From my feeling,
the adverbial modifies the entire sentence, so the meaning would remain
"last year, something almost happened".

> How would you say "almost one year
> ago [something happened]"? {wa' ben tugh [qaSpu' wanI']}?

I would try to make it two sentences: one for the event, one for the
time that's not finished yet.

{wa' ben [something happens], 'ach wej qaS wanI' DISjaj.}

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"