[tlhIngan Hol] when to {-vaD} and when to {-Daq}

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Dec 5 06:39:49 PST 2019

Am 05.12.2019 um 15:28 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
 > If we want to say "I gave the knife to the officer", we say {yaSvaD
taj vInob}.

 > Can someone please explain, why it would be wrong to say {yaSDaq taj
vInob} ?

 > ~ bara'qa'

First I thought this should be clear, but with furrther thinking, I
understnad your question.

Basically, -Daq is to be used as a locative. When you give something to
someone, in English you use the same word ("A to B"), but neither of you
changes their location. Still you may say that the knives moves from A
to B, but then you should remember that -Daq is used in that sense only
with verbs of motion (walk, go, travel).

Using -Daq in the process of giving something, it somehow sounds like "I
gave the knife into the direction of the officer" which may be
understood, but sounds very awkward.

-vaD is defined as marking the benificient of the action, so "I gave it
to him" literally means in Klingon "I gave it and he was the receiving
person." No movement implied, so no -Daq used.

I hope my short wording is okay for you. I'm sure others might explain
that a lot more detailed and with tons of special words, but this is the
point.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"