[tlhIngan Hol] Horse in Klingon?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun Dec 29 12:06:47 PST 2019

Klingon for the Galactic Traveler describes a {Sargh} ("sark") as

"an animal somewhat resembling a Terran horse, both in appearance and in that Klingons (generally individually) often ride on the animal's back"

In the TNG episode "Pen Pals", Picard had the following exchange with the holodeck computer:

PICARD: Computer, programme the holodeck for a woodland setting, with a bridle path and an appropriate mount.
COMPUTER: Type of mount? Andorian Zabathu, Klingon Sark, ...
PICARD: Horse. Earth horse.

According to The Starfleet Survival Guide, these beasts of burden are "omnivorous quadruped equine" lifeforms that "are similar in size and behavior to Terran horses and Talnerian riding lizards".
They stand "roughly 2.5 to 2.9 meters tall at the shoulder, and mature adults weigh in excess of 340 kilograms".
They have "coarse, shaggy coats of fur" in a variety of colors.

They can accelerate from a standstill to speeds greater than 80 km/h in less than 12 seconds.

An important difference between sarks and horses is that sarks have two straight, sharp horns that can extend more than a meter in front of their heads.

They also have spiked, flail-like tails.

Males are known to be fiercely territorial, and approaching a female may enrage them. They have been known to disembowel people in a single pass.

In other words, I'm sure you could describe a horse as a {tera' Sargh}, and I believe many in the community do. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if a Klingon would describe it as a {Sarghqoq} when they see it.

//loghaD