[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qun

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 23 07:36:43 PST 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, December 21, 2019

Klingon word: qun
Part of speech: noun
Definition: history

jemS tIy qIrq. loDHom jIHDI' qIrq qun vIqImchoH.
James T. Kirk. I've followed his history since I was a boy. (ST5 notes)
 [i.e. "I've followed his career since I was a boy" in the script and novelizaton.]

qun qon charghwI'pu''e'
History is written by the victors. TKW
[Wrongly attributed to Winston Churchill according to his biographer Martin Gilbert, who believes it's classical. But on one occasion Churchill did quip that, "History will be unkind to Neville Chamberlain. I know because I shall write it."

SEE ALSO:
quH 		heritage (n)
lut 		story (n)
lurDech 	tradition (n)
'ISyar 		legacy (n)

QUOTATIONS SUITABLE FOR TRANSLATION:
  “We learn from history that we learn nothing from history.” (George Bernard Shaw)

  “If you can separate people from their history, they are easily persuaded.” (Vladimir Lenin)

  "Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right." (George Orwell, "1984")

  “A generation that doesn’t know history has no past; and no future.” (Robert A. Heinlein)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons