[tlhIngan Hol] whining vs. complaining

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Dec 18 01:39:33 PST 2019

I just talked (wrote) to Marc Okrand. He did not reveral anything new,
but these details may be an interesting addition just in case there are
questions.

Lieven:
It's about the verb {bep} "complain, object, gripe". Can that be used at
a funeral, where it is said that people who have lost an important
person are "whining and complaining"? I'm not even sure it's correct in
English. I found a word "wail".

Marc Okrand:
In English, "wail" is the correct term for people crying or sobbing
loudly with grief at a funeral.  The verb "whine" is used for a usually
high-pitched crying kind of sound when you're complaining about
something or unhappy about something.  The kids whined when their father
wouldn't let them eat cake. If the kids whined at a funeral, it would be
because they didn't want to be there, not because they were sad (and any
whining would be disrespectful — wailing at a funeral is not uncommon).

[so this probably also refers to the verb {vIng}]

Lieven:
I think that {bep} is used only to say "Hey, stupid, you've done that
wrong" or "It's cold in here" or "This chair is uncomfortable" -- but
not "Oh no, I've lost my best friend"... is it??

Marc Okrand:
You are correct about {bep}.

Lieven:
I found this example:
"The BBC must have been wailing in despair when they realised the wasted
potential of their "Neighbours"."
So, long text, short question: {bep'a' BBC}?

Marc Okrand:
{ghobe'.}

[For your translation project,] I suspect you can use {bey}. [for wail]

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"