[tlhIngan Hol] placing an emphatic {-'e'} on {nuq}

Hugh Son puqloD Hugh at qeylIS.net
Tue Dec 17 06:39:11 PST 2019

> On Dec 17, 2019, at 07:34, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There's the son, who demands more and more money, so the father being bled dry, eventually shouts at his son:
>
> "What more do you want from me ? What ???"

This is a sidebar from your actual question, but we had a similar line in the Enterprise episode “Affliction” {qatlh tuneH}, which was translated as “What do you want with me?” in the subtitles, although I suppose “what do you want from me” is different from “what do you want with me”. AAUI that line and the rest of the Klingon from that episode was translated by Okrand but he wasn’t credited.

> As far as the second "what" is concerned, could it take an emphatic {-'e'} ?
>
> I know that in be sentences, the {-'e'} isn't actually the emphatic one, but I can't stop wondering, whether we *could* indeed add an emphatic {-'e'} on a {nuq}.

I can’t think of a reason why not. It’s a special pronoun but at the end of the day it’s still a pronoun. We already know it can take the type 5 suffix {-Daq} to make {nuqDaq}, which is explicitly called out as being {nuq} + {Daq}.