[tlhIngan Hol] how is the verb {weS} altered by {-chu'} ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Dec 16 06:51:57 PST 2019

On 12/16/2019 9:36 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> I'm wondering with regards to how the meaning of {weS} is altered,
> when the suffix {-chu'} is added.
>
> Suppose we write:
>
> {Huch wIweSpu'}
> we've suffered a reduction of money
>
> But how is that any different from:
>
> {Huch wIweSchu'pu'}
> we've perfectly undergone a reduction of money
>
> Does the {Huch wIweSpu'} mean that we've lost some money, while the
> {Huch wIweSchu'pu'} means that we've lost all our money ?

I'd say so. Mind you, the lack of *-chu'* on the first one doesn't mean
it can't be all your money, just that you're not specifying how much
money is lost.

> But even so..
>
> If we write:
>
> {100 *dollar*mey DIweSpu'}
> we've suffered a reduction of 100 dollars
>
> How is it any different from:
>
> {100 *dollar*mey DIweSchu'pu'}
> we've perfectly undergone a reduction of 100 dollars
>
> In both cases, haven't we lost *exactly* the same amount ?

In this case, you'd have to find some other meaning for the *-chu'.* I
don't think you can divine its meaning here without further context. The
meaning of any *-chu'* is very dependent on its context.