[tlhIngan Hol] could we say 'op puS ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Dec 13 09:53:47 PST 2019

Good question. Unless the Canon people have an answer, this is one of those areas where Houston, we have a problem.

TKD and every other official source of Klingon vocabulary collectively fail to indicate whether specific nouns that imply a number are singular or plural, and English is very arbitrary about this.

Everybody is singular. Doubt that? “Everybody wants to be happy.” Sounds right. “Everybody want to be happy.” Sounds wrong. Is wrong. See?

All are plural. “All want to be happy.”

{Hoch} can be translated as “everybody” or as “all”. So, is it singular or plural?

Zero are plural. “Zero want to be sad.” Yes. In English, any number other than one is grammatically plural, so the word “zero" is grammatically plural in English. So, is {pagh} plural?

Some are plural. “Some want popcorn.” Does Klingon follow the English convention? Maybe, but this is hardly given, until it is explicitly given.

And, there is the possibility that Klingon is simply internally inconsistent. If Canon people find examples of these words used inconsistently, then maybe it’s regional, or slang, or simply something that never calcified within the grammar. Maybe it's squishy.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.