[tlhIngan Hol] double {-'e'}s in be sentences

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Dec 13 06:03:25 PST 2019

On 12/13/2019 8:53 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> But I *still* can't understand, which rule prohibits us writing:
>
> romuluSnganpu''e' chaH jaghpu''e'
> As for the enemies, they are the *romulans*
>
> i.e. placing an emphatic {-'e'} on the first noun of a be sentence.

There's no known rule against it. However, the first *-'e'* would have
to be interpreted as focus instead of topic, so the meaning would be /As
for the enemies, they are ROMULANS (not somebody else)./ In other words,
the topic *jaghpu''e'* tells you what the sentence is all about, while
the focus *romuluSnganpu''e'* specifies Romulans instead of someone else.

However, if Klingon had a rule which hadn't been mentioned yet, this
would be my vote. I think it's very possible that Klingons just don't
use *-'e'* on both sides of the pronoun.