[tlhIngan Hol] what does this {-vIp} mean ?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 09:34:24 PST 2019

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 15:05, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> As it seems, the presence of {-vIp}, gives only the meaning of "the
> subject is afraid to do whatever", and not "the subject is afraid
> (that) he will do whatever".

I'm afraid that you may have been misled by the English expression "be
afraid that", for example as in "I'm afraid that you may have been misled
by the English expression...". In English, "afraid" can mean regret,
anxiety, or worry. In Klingon, the suffix {-vIp} only denotes fear.

What is the difference between "I'm afraid to fail" vs. "I'm afraid that
I'll fail", if the meaning of "afraid" is to be taken only literally in the
second sentence?

--
De'vID