[tlhIngan Hol] teH vs {-na'}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 14 07:12:02 PDT 2019

Okrand on “agree”:

(st.klingon, 3/02/1998):  Which brings us to {Qochbe'} and {QochHa'}.  Both consist of the verb {Qoch} “disagree” plus a negative suffix. … {Qochbe'} implies an absence of disagreeing (hence “agree”); {QochHa'} implies that any disagreeing was misplaced or misconstrued or perhaps has been "undone."  English lacks a simple way to say this.
If you want some punch, he’s provided at least two types:

(KGT 159):  The slang term [{qang}] may be found in such sentences as {jIHDaq Daqang} (“You always agree with me, you always cooperate with me”; literally, “You pour [something] into me”).  To say that someone “pours (always agrees)” is somewhat derogatory, implying that the agreeing or cooperating may be for ulterior motives.  Nonslang equivalents of {qang}, though lacking the negative connotation, are {reH Qochbe'} (“always agree”), {reH yeq} (“always cooperate”), and {reH jIj} (“always be cooperative”).
(KGT 105-06):  … the Klingon phrase {wa' DoS wIqIp} (“We hit one target”) or the shorter {DoS wIqIp} (“We hit a target”) is frequently heard in conversations that have nothing to do with shooting, targets, or even weaponry.  It is a way of saying “We agree”. By the same token, {cha' DoSmey DIqIp} ("We hit two targets") or the shorter {DoSmey DIqIp} ("We hit targets") normally means "We disagree." …  Incidentally, the word {DoSmey} brings with it connotations of "scattered all about," so {DoSmey DIqIp} really means something like "We hit scattered targets," an image that fits the idiomatic meaning of "We disagree" quite well.
There may be others, however keep in mind…

(KGT 172):  Agreeing is not a trait typically associated with Klingon nature, however, and apparently, at least under certain circumstances, this may extend to grammar as well.
--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: mayqel qunen'oS
SuStel:
> Say I agree in Klingon. Give it punch.

I can't. Indeed, saying "I don't disagree" lacks the punch of "I agree". Or the "I reject" word too..

And an even better example is the {qamuSHa'} which *feels* light years away from "I love you".

But since it's a constructed language, I guess we'll have to make due with the limited choices we have..