[tlhIngan Hol] gher'ID and {-mey}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 12 12:07:13 PDT 2019

nIqolay beat me to the draw with that quote from qurgh, so I’ll add another way of referring to results - the expressly plural {mIvwa’mey} :

(qep'a' 2018):  "results” with the sense of “score, tally” is {mIvwa'mey}

(De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018):  The traditional/old Klingon way of keeping score involves cutting oneself ({pe’’egh}), and this is the term still in use.  A “tally” or “(total) score” follows the same tradition.  They say {mIvwa’mey}, literally {scars} (even though, in traditional scorekeeping, the cuts turn to scabs and eventually go away).  This term is also used for “census” or “headcount”.  ...  Maltz wasn’t sure how “statistics” would be distinguished from “tally” in this context, but maybe {mIvwa’mey poj} “tally analysis” or {mI’ poj} “number analysis” would work.

--
Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of nIqolay Q