[tlhIngan Hol] gher'ID and {-mey}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Aug 12 11:17:02 PDT 2019

On 8/12/2019 1:45 PM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> If I knew when I'm supposed to use {-mey} on {gher'ID} and when not,
> I'd be happier.
>
> Not as happy as I'd be, if I won a million euros, but I'd be slightly
> happier than I'm now.
>
> I mean, what the ghe''or is happening with this word ?
>
> Is it inherently plural ? Can we pluralize it ? Why are some of its'
> meanings singular and some plural ?

My guess is that the word can be applied in the singular to the outcome
of a singular process, even if that consists of multiple components, the
"results." One process, one *gher'ID.* If you performed multiple
processes whose outcomes were not linked into a whole, they would be
*gher'IDmey.*

Suppose you throw a ball into the air and want to see what happens. Its
falling to the ground is the *gher'ID.* If you perform the experiment
multiple times, each result is a *gher'ID.* The collection of all of
them would be *gher'IDmey. *But if you combine all your separate
*gher'ID* into a single conclusion, that is a singular *gher'ID* too,
albeit a different one that has all the little *gher'ID* as its
component parts.

This is just my guess.