[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jatlh

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Aug 15 09:17:02 PDT 2019

On 8/15/2019 11:50 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> I remember there being a time that Okrand explained that the
> difference between {jatlh} and {ja’} was that the direct object of
> {jatlh} was the language or the text being spoken, while the object of
> {ja’} was the person being addressed.

I do not believe he has ever outright stated what the object of *ja'*
should be. On the other hand, you yourself once interviewed him
(http://klingonska.org/canon/1998-12-holqed-07-4.txt) and stated that
the typical object of *ja'* would be the person addressed, and he never
responded to that. He has, however, talked about what the object of
*jatlh* should be (http://klingonska.org/canon/1997-06-29a-news.txt),
and it's the language being spoken or a word referring to the speech
(like *SoQ*/speech, lecture, address/). It's not the actual words; those
are quoted as per TKD's section on sentences as objects. The indirect
object of *jatlh,* he also said, is the listener.

In canon, Okrand has only ever used a word like *lut* as the object of
*ja'.* He has never explicitly used a person as its object. He's used
prefixes that indicate a person being reported to, but there's no way to
distinguish whether it's an elided direct object or a reference to in
indirect object using the prefix trick.