[tlhIngan Hol] QochHa'

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Aug 15 08:23:40 PDT 2019

What follows is 100% opinion:

I think that Maltz erred when he defined {Qochbe’} as “Agree”. I believe “Agree" should have been defined as {QochHa’}. {Qochbe’} should merely mean that you don’t disagree, which is not quite as negative as agreeing.

By defining “Agree” as {Qochbe’}, we lose the ability to casually express that we neither agree nor disagree. We lose what we have for pretty much every other verb in the vocabulary. The mere negative becomes the antonym, and so the actual expression of the antonym becomes meaningless.

In other words, every other verb has a “be true” value of 1 (no negation), 0 ({-be’}), or -1 ({-Ha’}), but this verb uniquely has only the values 1, -1. There is no zero.

No, I’m not trying to change the definition. I honestly think that it’s a screwup that we have to live with because if we don’t all stick to cannon, then it’s a slippery slope to chaos. Where do we draw the line?

So, I believe that {QochHa’} is technically meaningless, since THE THING THAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO MEAN, going by the general meaning of {-Ha’} as applied to any other verb in the vocabulary, is covered by the mere use of {-be’}. Thus, having {Qochbe’} mean “agree”, there is never a reason to use {QochHa’}.

We can do logical/linguistic gymnastics pretending to make sense of {QochHa’}, but it is a word that lacks a reason d’être, being redundant, perhaps, with {Qochbe’chu’}.

This is not a new discovery for me. I recognized this over a decade ago, meeting it with an eye roll and a sigh, while building my first personal dictionary.

Language is imperfect. Why should Klingon be different?

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.