[tlhIngan Hol] Sarvam Duj vs Duj Sarvam

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Aug 5 06:25:09 PDT 2019

On 8/5/2019 9:19 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> SuStel:
> > There is plenty of difference. Sarvam Duj is a ship. Duj Sarvam is a
> variety.
>
> True.
>
> But even if I say {Duj Sarvam vIlegh}, then again, isn't it a vessel
> that I see ?
>
> This is where I can't *feel* the difference.
>
> No matter what I say, won't the listener understand that "I see a ship" ?

Looking at a "type" is a very abstract thing to do. You're recognizing a
pattern, not just seeing a ship. You're being confused by the word
*Sar,* not by the noun-noun construction.

Suppose I were looking at a bell. *baS 'In vIlegh*/I see a metal drum (a
bell)./ But suppose I were interested in the composition of the metal. I
might look closely at it and say *'In baS vIlegh*/I see the drum's
metal./ I'm still physically looking at the "drum," but what I'm really
looking at is the metal that it's made of. A *baS 'In* is a kind of
percussion instrument. *'In baS* is the metal that makes it up. One is
related to the other, but the phrases mean two different things.