[tlhIngan Hol] Mandos bIghHa' notqa'

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 10:19:09 PDT 2019

fse:

Then hate overcame Fëanor’s fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be
gone, saying: ‘Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!’ And
he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the
dwellers in Eä.

tlh:
wa'DIch ghIj feanor, 'ach tagha' muSqu'choHmo', melkor tIchmeH 'ej
mejmoHmeH HoS Suq. vaj jatlh:

lojmItwIjvo' yIghoS, mandos bIghHa' notqa' !

ea nganpu''e', melkor Dun law' Hoch Dun puS; 'ach, feanor juH lojmItmeyDaq
QamtaHvIS melkor, ghaHvaD lojmItmeyvam SoQmoH feanor.

discussion:

This is the best I could do.

After finishing this, and reading your translation, I have to comment:

1st:

I liked *a lot* your {Melkor 'IghmoH}. Sadly it didn't come to my mind
while I was writing my version.

2nd:

SuStel:
> Eä DabwI''e' Melkor HoSghaj law' Hoch HoSghaj puS;

Initially I thought of using {DabwI'}, but I went with {ngan} because I
didn't know which was actually closer to "dwellers". My mind decided to go
with {ngan}.

However, I'm puzzled with your choice of {HoSghaj}. In english, is "mighty"
closer to "powerful", or closer to "greatest" ?

3rd:

SuStel:
> DabwI'vam qab tlhopDaq

I thought of this too, but I wondered whether the "he shut the doors of his
house in the face of" was to be taken literally or metaphorically.

4th:

jIH:
> feanor juH lojmItmeyDaq QamtaHvIS melkor

I wondered whether I could write too:

{feanor juH lojmItmeyDaq ghaHtaHvIS melkor'e'}

And I still wonder whether that would be correct too..

Anyways, my american friend, I like this kind of practicing a lot, and if
you'd like to continue in other small passages too, it'd be great !

~ bnbnbnn