[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mev

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Aug 23 07:53:15 PDT 2019

On 8/23/2019 10:30 AM, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:
> > This was translated by Lieven. I believe the use of {mev} here is an
> error, and should've been {mevmoH}.
>
> {mev} can take an object, so it works. {bIjatlh 'e' yImev} is in both
> TKD and PK.

Yes, but the suggestion is that perhaps *mev* can only take *'e'* (and
maybe *net, *I suppose) as an object. Any other time, it's the subject
that stops doing something. It seems like the meaning of *mev* changes
when its object is *'e'.*

Whether this is true, I don't know. But you can conform to canon by
following the suggestion.

> {mev} also appears six times in paq'batlh, and takes {'e'} as an
> object each time.
>
> There is also the sentence {not mev peghmey} from PK. It could be that
> this {mev} could be given an explicit object, such as
> {not {vIH/vI'/chuS/leng/bogh/vuQ} 'e' lumev peghmev}, or it could be
> that {mev} has a homonymous intransitive form that is similar to {Dor}.

Except the translation is /Secrets never cease,/ which makes it clear
that it's the *peghmey* that are doing something not to be stopped;
they're not causing something else not to be stopped.