[tlhIngan Hol] Silmarillion - For am I not a Vala also ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Aug 23 07:47:41 PDT 2019

On 8/23/2019 10:31 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> SuStel:
> > Vala chIwmeH, jIH nIv law' Valimar
> > Valar Hem nIv puS
>
> This somehow confuses me.
>
> If you'd written just {Vala'e' jIH nIv law' Valimar Valar Hem nIv
> puS}, I could understand it better.
>
> But why did you chose to add the {vala chIwmeH} ?

Because while it's true that he thinks he is the superior Vala, what
he's saying here is that he thinks he is more worth of the title Vala
than the other Valar. He is the epitome of being a Vala, he's saying.
Hence the use of *chIw.*

I admit I'm not sure using *-meH* is a good idea, but Okrand has done
things like this with *-meH* before. (*QIpmeH Qatlh'a'?*/Difficult to
hit?/ ST5)

A verb meaning /be the epitome of/ would be nice for fitting in the
comparative, but we don't have that.

> SuStel:
> > puHvam langvo' vIqem
>
> I thought of using {qem}, but I wondered whether by using it, it would
> give a meaning like "I will physically carry you".

I don't know whether *qem* means only physically. You can use
*qeng*/carry, convey/ instead if you like. /Convey/ makes it pretty
clear that it's not only about physically picking something up.