[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "underwear"

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Apr 29 04:37:17 PDT 2019

Am 29.04.2019 um 13:10 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
> I always wondered, if we have the {-Ha'} on a word, which could take
> different meaning depending on whether we read the {-Ha'} as "mis-",
> "-de", or "-dis", then how would we decide which of the three was to
> be understood.

I think this is really just an English translation probem, not a Klingon
one. From a Klingon point of view, the suffix can mean the opposite of
the word, and also the do-wrong-version of the verb. It's probably a
thing one just has to learn and memorize.

Just like you, I can't think of an example right now, but other
languages also has several words that one just needs to memorize. Why
does Sean not ryhme with Dean? Depending on pronunciation, the German
word "umfahren" can mean run over, but also drive around something.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"