[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "underwear"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Apr 22 08:15:45 PDT 2019

On 4/22/2019 10:05 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> So, it's time to write the original sentence, which led me to ask
> about "underwear" in the first place:
>
> {ghawran voqHa'pu'mo' wo'rIv, wo'rIv nach DungDaq wo'rIv SutHom luHta' ghawran}
> because worf disrespected gowron, gowron gave him a wedgie
>
> Although, I wonder.. If someone hadn't read this thread, would he
> understand that I mean "wedgie" ?

*voqHa'pu'mo'* is /because he mistrusted him (on a particular occasion)./

English uses /disrespect/ in a couple of ways, one of which is used to
mean /treat without respect./ Although I do not point to any canon to
support my opinion, I don't think the Klingon verb *vuvHa'*/disrespect/
means this. I think *vuv* refers to how someone feels about someone
else, not how someone treats someone else.

Klingon has an easy go-to verb for this, though: *quvHa'moH*/dishonor./
*ghawran quvHa'moHpu' wo'rIv*/because Worf dishonored Gowron./

I'm pretty sure it would have taken me a while to figure out you meant
/wedgie/. For one thing, the trouble with using *SutHom* for this,
assuming it does mean /underwear,/ is that not all underwear is
underpants. For /underpants,/ you'd have to extend it to something like
*SutHom yopwaH bID.*

And when one gives a wedgie, one rarely literally pulls the underpants
all the way over the head. You might just want to be content with
keeping it literal: *wo'rIv Suthom yopwaH bID luHta' ghawran*/Gowron
pulled Worf's underpants./