[tlhIngan Hol] nughIjchugh vay' matuHnIS'a'?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 12 07:50:52 PDT 2019

FYI, here's a post Lieven shared with us from Okrand from February, 2018 about {ghIj}:

   "Maltz says he knows no word for fear. Maltz is one tough dude. He thinks using {ghIj} can work, however. Maltz knows the Federation Standard word "fear". He doesn't know a Klingon equivalent. It's one of those cases where one language has a word for something but another language doesn't. That doesn't mean you can't talk about it or express the same idea — it's just that you do it a different way.
   "You will encounter fear tomorrow might be {wa'leS DughIj vay'} or {wa'leS DaghIjlu'} ("Tomorrow somebody will scare you," "Tomorrow you'll be scared").
   "How do I recognize fear? might be something like {vIghIjlu' chay' 'e' vISov?} ("How do/will I know that I'm scared?")
   "Fear speaks very loud can be recast using similar but different imagery:
      DaghIjlu'chugh bItIwqu'
        "If you're scared, you'll react really emotionally"
      DaghIjlu' 'e' DabuSHa'laHbe'
        "You can't ignore that you're scared"
      DaghIjlu'chugh chuSqu' QIn
        "If you're scared, the message is really noisy"
          (or {DaghIjlu'DI'…} "When you're scared…")
      DaghIjlu'chugh jachqu' maQ
        "If you're scared, the sign/omen yells (loudly)"
          (or {DaghIjlu'DI'…} "When you're scared…")
      DaghIjlu'chugh ghumqu'lu'
         "If you're scared, the alarm is really sounded"
          (or {DaghIjlu'DI'…} "When you're scared…"
           or {…ghumlu'bej}   "…the alarm is certainly sounded"
           or {…ghumlu'chu'}  "…the alarm is sounded perfectly"
   "These are only ideas; there are certainly other ways to do this."

--
Voragh