[tlhIngan Hol] clarification of {DIn}

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Apr 11 22:42:31 PDT 2019

Am 11.04.2019 um 23:46 schrieb DloraH:
> So, when we [vegh], we go through the [lIvqa'nan], instead of the
> [lojmIt], yes?

That question seems logic, but I think it's not the case in daily speech.

a) Technically spoken, the frame is only /part/ of the door, so you
still go through the "door".
b) That's how it works in all languages I know (but that's no rule for
Klingon of course)
c) The definition of {vegh} is "go through door".
d) going even further, it is (probably) possible that this construction
is not even a closed thing; it could be half left, half right. So you
don't really {vegh} it, you just walk between those two halfs (but still
a door).

Your question is certainly appropiate and the idea is even correct when
taken literally, but I would say that insisting on this idea would be
too much nitpicking (no offense please). A door is a door. Taken
literally, you are even traversing a wall, if the door is in the wall.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"